In 1856, Conrad Laufersweiler opened one of the first funeral homes in Iowa that was devoted to funeral service. At that time, funeral directors worked from the furniture stores. Charles Laufersweiler joined his father in funeral service in Fort Dodge, Iowa and Charles' daughter, Mary also was active in running the funeral home until she married Keith Fielding, and they moved to Milo, Iowa to start the Fielding Funeral Home.
In 1952, they bought into the Beardsley Funeral Home in Chariton and operated Fielding Funeral Home until Keith sold the funeral home to his son, Clark. Throughout the following 50 years, many funeral homes have come and gone in Chariton, but Fielding's has remained a constant presence. We are proud to be a part of Chariton and intend to continue this funeral service tradition for many years to come.
--Clark & Maureen Fielding